If you’re like most people, you probably have at least a small collection of DVDs that you don’t watch anymore. We had about 40 DVDs in our collection before we unloaded some of them on decluttr. I’m slowly trying to declutter our home, and decluttr was a great way to get rid of DVDs that we don’t watch anymore while making a little money. Those who know me know that I don’t like to have too much stuff in the house that I don’t use (see my post on minimalism here).
What is decluttr?
Yes, that’s decluttr without the second “e.” decluttr is a website/app where you can sell your unwanted DVDs, CDs, video games, electronics, and cell phones. It’s simple to use, and the app is free. I’m going to focus on DVDs today, since this is probably the most common in most households. For DVDs, you scan the barcode, and they give you an instant offer (most will only be 10 to 50 cents). Then, you pack it up in a box and print out the shipping label they provide you (they pay for shipping). Once everything checks out, you get the funds direct deposited into your account. You’ll need to ship at least 10 items or $5 in value.
Here’s a quick visual of how it works on the iPhone app:
- Once you open the app, you can register, but you can also check the value of items without registering.
2. When you get to the Basket, tap Enter Items, and the app will ask to access your camera.
3. Here are a couple DVDs we still have that I can use as an example. I chose to keep these because I’ve actually watched these movies more than once and believe I will enjoy watching them again sometime in the future.
4. Next, you scan the barcode on the back of the DVD case with your smartphone camera. As you can see, they only offer 50 cents each for Forrest Gump and Catch Me If You Can. It’s not much, but if you’re never going to watch that DVD again, it probably has zero value to you.
5. Once you have at least 10 items or $5 in value, you can process the order on the app. Print out the shipping label they make for you, pack the DVDs in your own box, and tape the shipping label on the box.
You can probably sell each item individually for much more, but if you want to do a bulk sell without any hassle, decluttr is not a bad option.
Let me know how it goes if you decide to try it out!