I am keeping track of my progress on any non-financial goals here.
Goals for 2017 (starting Dec. 2016)
Here’s the status of all my goals for 2017.
- Be able to do 100 pushups in 2 minutes (currently at 25 as of 12/19/16); inspired by a friend who joined the 1000 lb club at age 36 (sum of bench, squat, deadlift)
- 35 pushups (1/2/17)
- 47 pushups (1/19/17)
- 50 pushups (2/16/17)
- 45 pushups (3/17/17) – regressed a little here
- Be able to do 100 situps in 2 minutes
- 55 situps (1/19/17)
- 61 situps (2/17/17)
- 70 situps (3/17/17)
- Achieve a 1000+ rating in Table Tennis (817 as of 12/19/16)
- 904 rating (1/4/17)
- 948 rating (1/19/17)
- 972 rating (2/16/17)
- 940 rating (3/17/17) – I feel like I’ve been getting better, but the competition has been improving too
- Read 20 books (my rating and a brief synopsis beside it)
- 1. The Millionaire Next Door by Thomas J. Stanley – COMPLETED Dec. 2016 (9/10 – shows us that most millionaires don’t live the flashy lives portrayed in the media but are actually much more frugal than most people)
- 2. The Prodigal God by Tim Keller – COMPLETED Dec. 2016 (7/10 – a different perspective on the parable of the prodigal son where the elder brother is just as lost as the younger brother)
- 3. The Simple Path to Wealth: Your road map to financial independence and a rich, free life by J.L. Collins – COMPLETED Jan. 2017 (9/10 – details a simple way to invest and emphasizes low-cost index funds like VTSAX; lots of great information too)
- 4. Half Retire – How to Escape the Rat Race Without Waiting to Win the Lottery! by Marcus Arce – COMPLETED Jan. 2017 (5/10 – goes through different ways to avoid typical full-time employment that usually lasts until traditional retirement age)
- 5. PUSH – A Guide to Living an All Out Life: The Story of Orangetheory Fitness by Ellen Latham, MS – COMPLETED Jan. 2017 (9/10 – written by the founder of Orangetheory Fitness; goes through the journey of how she came up with the concept and the franchise; lots of excellent testimonials and inspiring stories)
- 6. I Will Teach You To Be Rich by Ramit Sethi – COMPLETED Jan. 2017 (7/10 – covers a wide variety of concepts; would be more useful to recent grads or those new to managing finances)
- 7. Is That Really You, God? by Loren Cunningham with Janice Rogers – Completed Mar. 2017 (9/10 – required reading for Daniel DTS class I’m taking; tells the story of how YWAM began and tells amazing stories of how God used them in the early years)
- Run a 5k in under 20 minutes (6:26/mi)
- 24:22 (7:51/mi) – 2017 Celebrate Community 5k (Alexandria, VA; Jan. 15, 2017) – first race after recovering from ankle surgery. Goal here is to set my baseline for the year and improve from here.
- Run a marathon in under 4 hours
- Get my weight under 155 lbs and keep it there
- 158.0 lbs (12/19/16)
- 158.0 lbs (1/19/17)
- 159.6 lbs (2/17/17)
- 157.8 lbs (3/17/17)
I set a goal to qualify for the Boston Marathon by 2020. See the details in my post here:
I broke my ankle around the 4th of July in 2016. I haven’t made much progress on this in 2016, but I hope to get started on this in 2017.
In order to achieve my marathon goal above, I’m trying to get my weight down to around 138-143 lbs from about 161 lbs (as of mid-2016) by 2020.